Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Intro to Grant and Lee Summary

This piece is a summary of an essay we read in the middle of April contrasting the morals of Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant and how their differences ultimately united American life. During this quarter, we have learned to write a summary of an essay, story, or article. Before, I used to think a summary was just a rewording of what I had read, and my own interpretation of it. I have now learned that a summary is a shorter version of the writer’s thesis and main supporting ideas in my own words; also including the title of the piece and the author’s name. This summary is my best because it shows a clear understanding of the main points: “Robert E. Lee believed that social stature and “pronounced inequality” would build a better community by setting an example and standard of leadership and strength for the country to follow. Ulysses S. Grant, on the other hand, felt that the only way a social class should be established is by how hard a man worked and how much he had made of himself.”

No comments: